Counseling Licensure

In order to achieve licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), counselors typically need to fulfill requirements in three areas: academic, national examination, and counseling hours.

How can the Graduate School of Counseling help?

Our 60-hour Master of Arts in Counseling (MAC) degree is designed for students who wish to pursue licensure in the Commonwealth of PA. In addition, many of the courses assist students and alumni in other states to also pursue licensure.

All classes and programs are available on-line. The majority of our on-line classes are in a synchronous format. This means that you can engage with your professors and classmates from the comfort of your own home! For more information please contact our admissions department here.

Want to Know More About Our Master of Arts in Counseling?

But a master’s degree doesn’t always fulfill the academic requirements. That is why Missio also has a Certificate in Advanced Professional Counseling (CAPC). The CAPC is a 10-credit/five-course certificate with courses in the five specific areas usually required by the states and tested on the licensing exam. Acceptance into the CAPC program is by application after completion of a master’s degree.

More Information

Want to Know More About Our Certificate in Advanced Professional Counseling?

More Information

Requirements for Licensure

Please review the specific code requirements for the state in which you wish to obtain licensure. The information on this page is a helpful overview, but it cannot replace written state information. Go to your state’s website for complete information.


Usually at least a 48-hour master’s degree in counseling or a counseling-related field is required, plus additional courses. For example, in Pennsylvania counselors need at least 60 academic credits (See PA Requirements). Requirements in other states vary.


You will need to pass the National Counselor Exam (NCE) for licensure.

Counseling Hours:

Usually 3000 or more post-graduation counseling hours are required. In Pennsylvania the requirement is 3000 post-graduation hours.

Links to Surrounding States Licensure Requirements

Additional Licensure Notes:

CACREP Update from New Jersey:

On December 5th 2011 it was printed in the New Jersey Register that there will be an alternative to the CACREP requirement which was to go into effect October 2012. This means that you will not need to have graduated from a CACREP school to be eligible to apply for LPC in NJ. Please see this PDF for more info.

For Students Applying for Licensure in New York:

The NY State Education Department does not register as licensure-qualifying any programs that are offered by institutions outside of New York. Each individual who graduates from a program outside of New York must apply for licensure and then be individually evaluated to determine if the applicant has satisfied education requirements equivalent to a New York licensure-qualifying program.

The Bureau of Comparative Education will review the Form 2, transcript, course syllabi, and other information that is submitted directly by the college or university. The applicant will be notified if additional information is required or if additional education or an internship must be completed to meet the education requirements for licensure in New York.

Ready to start your journey?

Whether you are looking for more information regarding a program, scheduling a visit, starting the application process, or just wanting to talk to someone about your dreams, our admissions department is always available to assist you and answer any question that you might have.

What are professors saying?